Sunday 25 December 2011

Now, THAT is what I call GIVING!

This week is kind of a little addendum to the past couple of pieces. It is really just a small thing, but it is a small thing that COULD have a HUGE IMPACT on getting people out to shows, making people aware of releases, and generally promoting the music scene.



Basically, I would like to see people 'sharing', 'retweeting', and any other simple click to pass info along methods available through whatever social media we use.

I have a few friends that run labels or are in bands, and I try to share and retweet every event, release, or other activity they post. It only takes a couple of seconds and it helps them out. It also helps that I too am sometimes involved in the stuff or planning on attending the events, but even if I am not I try to spread the word because these folks are doing something I believe in and want to support.


Now, this is actually kind of a new thing I have started doing, but it makes ALL KINDS OF SENSE TO ME! What doesn't make sense to me is when bands don't pass on the promotional material they are given in this manner. DO YOU NOT WANT PEOPLE TO SUPPORT WHAT YOU ARE DOING?!?!?! An example is I know of a label putting out a compilation that is bound to be amazing. The label has gone to great lengths to get amazing artwork, build a great website for the release, and make other Internet promotional material. Yet, MOST of the artists on the compilation can't even bother to click the SHARE/RETWEET buttons when the label puts the stuff up! Confusing, isn't it?


You don't need to spend all day doing these things and you definitely don't need to spend all day scouring the infinite posts out there, but if you happen to see a post from a band, label, or artist that you like or support, why not take those few seconds to pass the information along to the people YOU know who might not otherwise be hip? Think of it like a NEW COMMON COURTESY, like holding a door for someone. Maybe the building of the community won't be televised, but rather POSTED!

No comments:

Post a Comment